About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Unhealthy Scripture?

Every now and then I plan a message that I know will get me in trouble. This week I will be talking about what it means to be "salt and light". Jesus makes it clear that we are supposed to have a positive influence on those around us. Our lives are supposed to make a difference. Nothing wrong with that. However, it is the illustration that gets me in trouble. I love salt. I am a "saltaholic " (made up word). I have been known to put salt on saltine crackers with peanut butter. Not so healthy. It's bad. My apologies to health conscious folks who are on low sodium diets...Sometimes when I am eating an apple, Nicholas will ask me for a bite - but, he has learned to ask whether I have put salt on it before he eats it. Well at least I don't have to be a low sodium follower of Chrsit. What would happen if I loved the saltiness that Jesus is describing that much? What if I craved influence for Jesus like I crave salt? That's what I plan to talk about this Sunday. Give it some thought. How much are you influencing those around you for good?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love the illustration! Salt represents the stuff that makes us "taste better" - it draws people to find out what makes us different. Pastor Paul, you have a lot of salt, and I'm not talking about your sodium level. There's something about you that draws people to you. You have the flavor of God. Can't wait to hear the sermon on Sunday!