About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Friday, April 27, 2007

Forgiveness

Is there a relationship between forgiveness and controlling our anger? Jesus seemed to link the two together in his teaching. Actually, He inserts the role of reconciliation. It seems to me that reconciliation requires forgiveness. Forgiveness begins in the heart. In the "sermon on the mount" Jesus instructs his followers to consider the hindrance that a messed up relationship causes in our worship. Jesus places a priority on initiative. This may be the toughest part of forgiveness. Who will take the first step? Are we willing to go to another? Do I wait on them to deserve my forgiveness? My experience with anger has taught me that while I am waiting for the other "guilty" party to move in my direction I am justifying my anger and my feelings. Consequently, I can convince myself that there is nothing for me to do but wait on them to wake up and realize that they are wrong. Meanwhile, my heart suffers. Taking the first step unlocks the door to peace. The first step may be literal or in some cases it may be a step that we take in our hearts. We may need to deal with our feelings before we are ready to go.

No comments: