About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Saturday, April 21, 2007

Relationship Check-up

I have many images of heaven that dance around my head. Of course, nothing is more important that being with God forever and ever. On a lighter note - I wonder if asparagus will taste like chocolate cake. I wonder if Snickers bars will be an excellent source of calcium and ice cream will be a miraculous "fat-burner"...And I wonder if flowers will grow like weeds. Weeds are incredible. Have you ever noticed that any type of plant that you hate has the most incredible root system. They refuse to die when it's dry. You can pull them up and they come back. Today I was pulling up some monkey grass for the one thousandth time. (I know it's not a weed, but I hate it). Not to worry, it will be back next week. It occurs to me that we should be like monkey grass. I don't mean we should emulate all of the annoying qualities. I'm talking about the root system. When I attempt to pull up my monkey grass, it is nearly impossible. The reason it is so difficult is the extensive root system. It seems that all my monkey grass is interconnected beneath the surface of the soil. I wonder how many relationships we have that connect us beneath the surface of our lives. Sometimes it seems that the pace of life has robbed us deep relationships. The pressure of our culture demands that we make friends on the fly. Yet our stability, our resiliency depends on healthy connections that are so much more than superficial acquaintances. They connect us. Take time to say thank you to a friend for being a friend.

No comments: