About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Live Responsively

What will guide my life this week? What will give focus to my speech and my choices? In a recent interview, Eugene Peterson referred to prayer as "answering speech". Peterson points out that in life the first word is spoken by God and all that we say or do is a response to His first word. That's an interesting way of approaching the week. Am I responding to God? Peterson reaches back to the creative word of God in the beginning and recognizes that God sets things in motion. What does it mean for me to live responsively? I consider that fact that God's creative activity has continued in my life. He has created a new heart in me. He has renewed my mind with creative energy. He has given me a new perspective with which to see the world around me. He has created new relationships in my life that He has ordained for His purposes. What is my response? Well, I need to answer His first words with gratitude and humilty. Why would He invest so much in my week? It gives new meaning to the Apostle Paul's words...redeem the time.

1 comment:

Lucas Lloyd said...

Thank you so much for this entry. It really spoke directly to me and where I'm at right now in my own life. God really has given me a fresh heart recently, a fresh energy, a fresh perspective, and renewed relationships. My entire life, including my prayer life should be lived in response to these gifts, to God's continued dialogue with my life.