About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

How do you see?

In an earlier post I suggested that it is good to live responsively. We should live in response to God's creative word. One of the most complex of the creative changes that God brings about in us has to do with our response to our surroundings. What do we see? How do we see? Who do we see? It is amazing how we can meet the same people and walk away with completely different impressions about them. Also, it is amazing how little we invest in seeing what God intends for us to see. One of the earliest casualties of our busy lives is compassion. As we become efficient and "professional" with our time management, we can lose the significance of the moments that God gives us. Recently I re-read some classic Henri Nouwen statements in "The Wonded Healer". His admonition for us as followers of Jesus is to bring out the best in others. He warns of the perils of observing people from a distance rather than seeing with God-given eyes of compassion. Of Christian leaders in the future he writes.."the danger is that his skillful diagnostic eye will become more an eye for distant and detailed analysis than the eye of a compassionate partner". Have you ever been guilty of sizing someone up and diagnosing what's wrong rather than giving place for the compassion of Christ to well up within you? I thought so...me too.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for this reminder! I know that I often fail to see people the way God sees them. I am critical of their shortcomings without seeing their potential for greatness - perhaps through another avenue in their life. God sees my potential despite MY shortcomings. I should give others the same courtesy.