About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Anger Management

There's a lot of talk about anger and hostility this week in light of the tragic shootings at Virginia Tech. In fact, I plan to speak about anger on Sunday morning at church. Anger is an amazing animal. I picture anger as a wild animal that makes it's way to our back door. We feed it and then we act shocked that it keeps coming back. Unfortunately, it's still a wild animal. (I realize that there is such a thing as righteous anger, but stay with me) Anger shows up early in the Bible. We are introduced to anger in the midst of the story of Cain and Abel. Abel gets good marks from God. Cain gets a failing grade. If we slow down long enough to digest the story we will notice that Cain also gets some great council from God. God tells Cain to beware of his sinful anger. My paraphrased version is this - either you will master it or it will master you. Here's where anger tends to go wrong. When we are angry (even when it is righteous anger) it is really hard to remember God's advice. Usually, we are too busy nursing our feelings and rehearsing the justification for our anger. In fact, one of the best strategies for mastering our anger is to step back and take a look at it for what it really is, gain clarity on what our next steps should be...and then starve it to death.

1 comment:

Lee said...

I too am very glad that you are writing a blog! I've enjoyed all the entries so far and agree with all the comments posted! Keep up the good work my friend :)