About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, April 28, 2014

Habits


Likewise, exhort the young men to be sober-minded, in all things showing yourself to be a pattern of good works; in doctrine showing integrity, reverence, incorruptibility
Titus 2:6-7

What makes a “habit” a “habit”? Although, I could identify many variables that contribute the formation of a habit, “repetition” is one of the key contributors. If something is “habitual”, it seems to me that it must be repetitive. There is a certain amount of predictability. There is a pattern of behavior. When Paul wrote to Titus, he gave some instructions for “young men”. Even though, Paul’s instructions were addressed to young men, the value is not lost on those of us who are not so young any more. Paul mentioned the importance of developing a pattern of good works.

Read between the lines and you can hear Paul raise an important question. Are you in the habit of doing good works? If you study the Greek text of Paul’s letter, you might just smile. The transliteration for the Greek word for pattern is typos. I must confess that at times I feel more like my life is more like a “typo” than a pattern of good works…. desperately in need of spell check, an editor and immediate correction. That misses the mark of what Paul intends. The idea behind the Greek word typos is that of an impression or imprint made by a forceful stroke. Think about it. My habits, my patterns of behavior make an impression. The impression is twofold. The impression is internal and external. My habits form my character. My habits shape my influence.

I suspect one reason Paul addressed this particular instruction to the “younger” is that habits are forward reaching. Habits have an impact on the future that is seldom considered in the present. That’s a little tricky. It’s unlikely that I will consider the unintended consequences of my habits the first time I choose a behavior. In fact, it’s highly unlikely that I will consider the fact that my own habits may influence other persons that I do not even know. Sometimes, others recognize my habits long before I recognize them myself. Habits are a part of life. Good habits require a heavy investment. But, the dividends are far reaching.

No comments: