About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Friday, April 18, 2014

Good Friday


But they shouted, saying, “Crucify Him, crucify Him!”
And when they had come to the place called Calvary, there they crucified Him, and the criminals, one on the right hand and the other on the left. Then Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do.”
Luke 22:21,33-34

Take a look at a group picture. If I am in the picture, my eyes will scan the crowd and find my own face. C’mon, be honest. I suspect I’m not the only one to do that. It’s natural for us to locate ourselves in the crowd.

Sometimes it’s painful to find ourselves. Such is the case today when I reflect on the crucifixion of my Lord. He is my Lord. He is my Savior. I know Jesus died for the sin of the world. But, I cannot be a part of an anonymous crowd conveniently consigned in my mind as “the world” and not find myself in the picture. “Crucify Him!” Yes, those are my words. I cannot afford to believe “All of sinned and fall short of the glory of God” and deny my presence in the “all”. Sin required a sacrifice. My sin is included. If Jesus is the “Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world”, then my sin was in the mix and must be covered. Jesus was crucified among the criminals. I was a criminal who was pardoned. I was a Barabbas who was released and replaced. When I look at the picture, I see myself. I’m trapped in sin and far from God.

The picture enlarges. No longer do I see my face. There is a moment when my focus is torn away from me. It is no longer a time to look. It is a time for me to listen. Have you ever noticed how easy it is to relegate “forgiveness”? Have you pushed forgiveness aside to a safe place? It is a prize virtue. It is like a trophy on a shelf. Something we have received. Something we give when we want to. Something we pull down when it’s convenient. As long as it remains sterile, it’s safe to have. But, forgiveness is not real until it is stained with the blood of real life. The pain was excruciating. His shame was tangible. The moment was unimaginable. God chose to display His mission in raw human terms. God was broken, bleeding and exhausted. Somehow, He was not too tired to speak. On that day the darkness of my soul lost. Darkness could not overcome the Light of the world. Jesus spoke. He spoke to me. “Father, forgive him.” I can no longer bear to look at myself in the picture. Christ’s love becomes a magnet and His words pull me close to the cross today.

No comments: