About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, April 21, 2014

Living the Resurrection Life


“Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead”
1 Peter 1:3

What does it mean to be born into a living hope? When Peter wrote about a living hope it’s clear to me that he was describing a new way of life. Though I don’t use the word “begotten” every day, frequently I do think in terms of a new way of living. It’s what Eugene Peterson calls living the “resurrection life”. Peterson’s language reminds me of two critical facts that define my existence. First, it’s a reminder that the significance of the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead is not obsolete. Jesus’ death, burial and resurrection change everything. My past is forgiven. My present is vibrant. My future is promising. Second, the resurrection of Jesus issues a call for change. Because I have gained a “living hope”, life is different. I am engaged in a dynamic process. I have been changed and I am being changed by the presence of a living Savior. The challenge is clear. Learn how to mature in the resurrection life. Peterson describes the journey with the risen Savior this way:

When we practice resurrection, we keep company with Jesus, alive and present, who knows where we are going better than we do….The practice of resurrection is an intentional, deliberate decision to believe and participate in resurrection life, life out of death, life that trumps death, life that is the last word, Jesus life…Real life, in a world preoccupied with death and the devil.

The difference between death and life is dramatic. Not only is new life possible, it is God’s plan.

No comments: