About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, April 7, 2014

Love


But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God
2 Timothy 3:1-4

It’s a tough description. This particular stretch in Paul’s letter to Timothy provides a laundry list of misguided attitudes, desire, behaviors and priorities.  In the midst of this list is a great message about love. The message is summarized in two words that are tucked away in the fourth verse: “rather than”. At first these words may seem innocuous. But they are tethered to desire and choice. “Rather than” exposes what happens when a heart is inclined in the wrong direction. Oh, it’s not that Paul is teaching that self, money or pleasure is the great evil. Instead, Paul wants to warn against an unholy competition. Will I love money, rather than God? Will I love myself as if I am in charge of my life? Will I love pleasure so much that I would not consider suffering inconvenience on God’s behalf? Today, it’s easy to live a “rather than” life. But, the cost is immeasurable. Slowly, we forget that the objects of my affection motivate me. If my love for something other than God climbs to the top of my priorities, my life will drift. What do I love? Who do I love? I need to revisit these important questions on a regular basis. And I need to cultivate my love for God.

There is not in the world a kind of life more sweet and delightful than that of a continual conversation with God. Those only can comprehend it who practice and experience it; yet I do not advise you to do it from that motive. It is not pleasure which we ought to seek in this exercise, but let us do it from a principle of love, and because God would have us.
Brother Lawrence

No comments: