About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

God's gifts


For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.
2 Timothy 1:7

Wise council is sometimes straightforward and to the point. Such is the case with this particular reminder from Timothy’s spiritual mentor. Paul reminded Timothy to reject fear and embrace the gifts of God. Paul understood that fear paralyzes and love is a catalyst for action. Another wise elder of the early church reminded the recipients of his letter “There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear” (1 John 4:18). God’s love is an antidote for unhealthy fear. But, that is only the beginning. Not only does God give us love, He gives us power and a sound mind.

Sometimes power gets a bad name. There are many ways to exercise power. Is it possible to abuse power? Of course it is. I don’t think Paul is reminding Timothy of a God given power to abuse others or dominate the people he served. Instead, I believe the three gifts of God named by Paul in his letter to Timothy are interconnected.  God gives us power. God gives us love. And God gives us a sound mind. Love is at the center of it all. If my life is transformed by the love of God, my use of power will reflect His character. In essence, God empowers me to love others the way He has loved me. Likewise, God’s love will be reflected in the way I engage my mind. God’s love will help govern and illuminate my thoughts. A sound mind contributes to self-control. God love creates a craving for virtuous thinking and distaste for deception. It’s good for me to consider how the love of God impacts my judgment and decision-making. Also, it’s wise for me to recognize that when my thinking is dominated by fear, my perspective is apt to be distorted.

The New Testament is filled with descriptions of gifts that God loves to share with His children. Each is undeserved. The generosity of God is so difficult for me to fathom apart from my trust in His love for me. As a recipient of His love, I feel the weight responsibility that comes with power and a sound mind.

No comments: