About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, March 24, 2014

Training Day


1 Timothy 4:7-8
But reject profane and old wives’ fables, and exercise yourself toward godliness. For bodily exercise profits a little, but godliness is profitable for all things, having promise of the life that now is and of that which is to come. (1 Timothy 4:7-8)

When Paul sent his letter to Timothy, his spiritual son, he included some rich counsel. His deep concern for Timothy is evident. He tells Timothy to “exercise toward godliness”. Paul makes it clear that this type of exercise will be far more beneficial to Timothy than physical training.

So what’s the big deal? Why is it important to exercise toward godliness? I think the benefits are laced throughout Paul’s letters included in the New Testament, but I can think of three.

First, training for godliness establishes a clear direction for my life. It displays my intention to move in a particular direction. In 1 Timothy 4:7, Paul instructs Timothy to reject profane doctrines and teachings. Rejection is a type of withdrawal. It indicates movement away from something. In the same way, Paul encourages Timothy to move toward godliness. My life always has a direction. I am either moving toward Christ or toward things that distract me from Christ.

Second, training presupposes a goal or purpose. Paul has made the goal clear. God’s plan for me is to become more like Jesus. I will become more like Jesus when I exercise toward godliness. Paul uses a physical term to emphasis a purposeful investment of time and energy for a purpose. Christlikeness is the purpose.

Finally, training for godliness reminds me of my personal participation in God’s plan. I cannot disengage from exercise and expect to benefit. I participate in the process. I recognize the challenge. It is not always easy to choose the right direction over the wrong. Sometimes godliness requires me to swim against a strong cultural current. Resistance builds endurance. God is my source of strength. His grace makes it possible. But, I am fully alive in my pursuit of what is pleasing to God.

No comments: