About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, April 14, 2014

Behold the Lamb


The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, “Behold! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world! (John 1:29)

The Gospel of John is divided into chapters. Chapter 12 is a big chapter. I’m not referring to the length of the chapter as measured by verses. I’m referring to the depth of meaning. This chapter begins with Jesus at the home of friends in Bethany. During the visit, Mary anointed Jesus’ feet with expensive oil and the fragrance filled the room. After that, Jesus traveled from Bethany to Jerusalem and entered the city amidst shouts of adoration. A multitude of voices shouted, “Hosanna! Blessed is He who comes in the name of the LORD! The King of Israel!” On the surface, these seem to be two contrasting scenes of worship. One is a very special private worship in a home. The other is an explosion of praise that might best be described as a triumphal procession. In fact, both were signs of preparation. Jesus was preparing to die. While at Bethany, after the fragrance filled the room, Jesus mentions his burial (v. 8). After a vivid description of Jesus’ entry into the city, John provides clarification that the disciples did not understand the significance of the moment until after Jesus went to the cross (v. 16). Then, the poignant words of Jesus bring clarity. “The time has come that the Son of man should be glorified” (v. 23).  Jesus reminded them that a grain of wheat does not produce much grain until it dies. Jesus told them “He who loves his life will lose it” (v. 25).

The words of Fulton Sheen frame the event.

It was the month of Nisan. The Book of Exodus ordered that in this month the Paschal Lamb was to be selected, and four days later was to be taken to the place where it was to be sacrificed. On Palm Sunday, the Lamb was chosen by popular acclaim in Jerusalem; on Good Friday He was crucified.

This week will bring focus to these events. For me, they are so much more than a historical record. Jesus said, “And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all peoples to Myself” (v. 32). Today, I am drawn to the cross. I am drawn to Jesus. And I am forever changed.

No comments: