About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, May 5, 2014

Useful


I am appealing to you for my child, Onesimus, whose father I have become during my imprisonment. Formerly he was useless to you, but now he is indeed useful both to you and to me.
Philemon 1:10-11

Useful. Have you every had anyone ask you how you want to be remembered? I’d like to think that I will be remembered as “useful”. It’s a great word. I don’t know anything about the parents of Onesimus but for some reason they named him “Onesimus”. I’m pretty sure it won’t show up on the most popular baby names this year. But, in the first century the meaning of this name would not have been lost. Onesimus means “useful”. Onesimus was a slave. At the time Apostle Paul wrote this letter to Philemon, Onesimus was a fugitive. Now the fugitive was going home to Philemon.

Onesimus was returning to Philemon with a couple of new relationships. Paul had become a spiritual father to him and by faith Jesus had become his Lord and Savior. Paul’s request was simple. Paul asked Philemon to receive Onesimus just as he would receive Paul himself. Receive him, not as a fugitive, but as a brother. As Paul sends his request by letter, he passed along some commentary about his spiritual son. Paul explained that Onesimus had lived up to his name. “Formerly, he was useless to you, but now he is indeed useful both to you and to me.”

Now, I can return to the process of writing my epithet in advance. Instead of one word, perhaps I can borrow the entire thought from Paul: “formerly useless, but became useful”. Such is the story of grace in my life. I hope I never forget that I am a ransomed slave. My freedom from sin was not free. Jesus paid the full cost for every transgression with His life. Because of Jesus, I am like Onesimus. I enjoy new relationships. God has adopted me. I hope I never forget the journey from slavery to freedom, from sin to God’s family, from useless to useful. Onesimus is great name.

No comments: