About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, May 19, 2014

Jesus doesn't change


Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, today and forever.
Hebrews 13:8

The Bible is filled with descriptions of change. Some change is for the better. Some change is for the worse. It’s God plan for us to be changed and to change. Transformation, development, edification and maturation are big words that signal positive change. On the other hand, erosion and destruction refer to a different type of change.

I have come to recognize that change is unavoidable. Perhaps that is why I struggle to grasp the fact that change does not affect Jesus Christ. I change. He does not. Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever. In the backdrop of this powerful statement, the writer of Hebrews described many changes. In the history of Israel, priests would come and go. Repetitive sacrifices were offered for sin. But, there is only one Jesus. He offered one sacrifice for all. One time.

This statement about Jesus impacts me on more than one level. It’s true that Jesus is not subject to a normal lifespan. He is the Savior forever. But, it’s also true that His faithfulness does not waiver. When I compare my faithfulness and fervency for Christ across the proverbial yesterday, today and forever, I can detect some highs and lows. I suspect you can too.

When we fall, Jesus picks us up. He’s busy.
Scot McKnight

If you are like me, you need to be reminded from time to time that circumstances do not affect Jesus. His power is never threatened by a storm. His grace is not overwhelmed by my need. His love has never been stretched too thin. Jesus is the same.

No comments: