About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Is God Capricious?


While I was on vacation, I took advantage of the opportunity to do some reading. That’s not unusual. I love to read. But, the fact that I was reading fiction is very unusual for me. I was on vacation so a break from the norm was in order. So why am I asking this strange question about God? In the midst of the book I was reading, two characters have a discussion about God. In particular, it was regarding a prayer that was answered and the timeliness of the answer. One of the primary characters in the book implies that God seems "capricious". Adjectives describing God are plentiful. But, capricious is one that seems to be growing in popularity. Most often it is characteristic offered by those searching for a reason to deny rather than describe God. For example, Richard Dawkins (The God Delusion) refers to the “God of the Old Testament” as a “capriciously malevolent bully”.  Dawkins is not alone. Much is written today about whether God is or is not. More and more authors flex their intellectual muscles and make conditional statements about what kind of God merits belief and trust.

So, when I encountered the word “capricious” in the book it caused me to ponder. In the book I read the word "capricious" is thrown into the mix with a much friendlier tone. That’s what caught my attention. I’m not surprised when an anti-theist attempts to build a case against God and lobs accusations as support for his or her rejection. But, the musings of a believer or would be believer strike a different chord. I am curious as to whether we have come to expect God to meet our expectations. As a reminder, the definition of capricious is "given to sudden and unaccountable changes in mood or behavior".  After ruminating on the definition a bit, the question becomes more intriguing. Do we desire a God who is accountable for behavior - especially behavior that seems unexpected? Put another way, do I expect to be able to predict God's behavior?  What if, in my estimation, God misbehaves? Sounds absurd when put in such terms. Yet, it's a perspective that's fairly prevalent in our culture. Yes, I'm talking about the church culture.  It may be prevalent, but it’s not at all new. I read Job again recently. I highly recommend putting Job on your reading schedule on a regular basis. It stretches me immensely. After Job had his day in court, God responded. Job contains one of those verses that is rarely scribbled on a card as a "memory verse". We much prefer "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me". So here's a different kind of memory verse. Go ahead and post this one on your fridge.
 
“Shall the one who contends with the Almighty correct Him?” (Job 40:2)
 
I’m sure I have never said to God, "You are capricious, don’t be so unpredictable!" But I have wrestled with God in prayer (and perhaps some pouting) and I have elevated my expectations higher than I should. I have prayed with the intent "not Your will, but mine be done". Yes, I have wrestled. Somehow, at the end of every wrestling match the scoreboard is the same. God is undefeated. But, is God capricious? 

No comments: