About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

The Engine


Today in Preschool Chapel I asked the children to talk to me about the letter "A". Quickly, a child told me that "apple" begins with "A". Next, a child shouted out "airplane". So, I proceeded to make an airplane out of Play Doh. I thought I was finished, when a little girl informed me that my airplane needed engines. Pretty impressive for a preschooler. If my green (their suggestion) Play Doh airplane is going to fly it must have engines. What was I thinking? Quickly, I added two engines and all was well.

After a few songs with them, I began to tell them about one of Jesus' messages when He told His followers to be like two things: salt and light. Christianity minus the qualities that Jesus described is much like an airplane without an engine. It just doesn't fly. So, if we take seriously the words of Jesus, we need to know what is required. "You are the light of the world" (Matthew 5:14). How do we maintain our luminescence? Dallas Willard simplifies the process in his description of discipleship. I am with Him to learn from Him how to be like Him. (Divine Conspiracy, p. 276). His words remind me that I shouldn't try to be "salt and light" without learning from my Savior.


No comments: