About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, August 19, 2013

New Wineskins


And no one puts new wine into old wineskins; or else the new wine bursts the wineskins, the wine is spilled, and the wineskins are ruined. But new wine must be put into new wineskins.” 
Mark 2:22

When I read the Gospels I marvel at the way Jesus could deliver an eternal truth with the aid of a familiar object. How would you describe barriers to radical transformation to a group of 1st century people hanging around asking questions? Google “self help books” or “personal change” and check back with me at the end of your life when you finish pouring over a billion or two responses. There are a lot of ideas about what is required in order to change. Some of the ideas are good and helpful. But, if Jesus was to write a book about change today it might be pretty short. The title could be: “New wine must be put into new wineskins”. Jesus addressed some pretty big change issues in His day. He was a bridge between the Law and the Gospel. He was confronted with self-righteous attempts to preserve a legalistic framework in the wake of His arrival. In the text of Mark 2 His words were few yet profound in implication. They held both a global and individual application. I’m leaving the global interpretation for another day. I am focusing on what it means in my life. Maybe you can benefit from my struggle.

Will I put new wine in old wineskins? Today, I may be tempted to add a little bit of Jesus into my life to make it better while stopping short of the type of transformation that takes place when I give Him my all. I may want to enjoy the new wine of His presence while still holding on to aspects of my self-righteous identity. I may want to maintain my old habitual ways of seeing things and treating people. I may pray the “Lord’s Prayer” this morning and then live as if I want to see how much of my will can survive while praying “Your will be done”. My “old wineskin” is like a comfortable pair of old shoes. Without thinking, I slip them on each morning. I walk around in them without thinking about the desperate need for renewal. Then Jesus speaks. If I want to preserve the precious nature of His presence I need to embrace Him in totality. I need Him to build my life according to His design. I need a new wineskin.

No comments: