About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, August 5, 2013

Before the Great Commission


Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, to the mountain which Jesus had appointed for them. When they saw Him, they worshiped Him; but some doubted.
Matthew 28:16-17

Normally, when I think about Matthew 28 the “Great Commission” captures my attention. It’s the hallmark “mission” passage of the New Testament. Because my mind gravitates toward the words of Jesus, it’s unusual for me to give much attention to the verses leading into the great “Go ye” imperative. But, recently I noticed a couple of details. First, the conspicuous number “eleven” in verse sixteen. The unspoken explanation is powerful. Earlier in Matthew, when Jesus commissioned His disciples, there were “twelve” who were named. Now, Judas the betrayer is no longer with them. The second detail is the mention of “doubt”. It’s a formidable word that seems out of place. After all, this doubt surfaces in the midst of a “post-resurrection” appearance of Jesus. It almost sounds matter of fact. When they saw Jesus some worshipped – some doubted.

So why pay attention to these two details? Perhaps it’s the location. Remember, these details are a prelude to the Great Commission. It seems to be a reminder of a struggle that stretches across the centuries. Prior to launching out in obedience; prior to the “disciple-making” adventure, Matthew 28 reminds us that some will go, some will not. Also, it’s a reminder that doubt is real. Should we be surprised that doubt can rise up in the midst of the stark reality of God’s presence? Matthew helps me see the struggle more clearly. Will I worship or will I doubt? Will I obey or will I walk away? By faith, I say, “yes” to Jesus.

No comments: