About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

What happened to imagination?

-->


I marvel at the imagination of children. Each Wednesday, they stretch me with their comments and their requests. That’s why I love to grab the Play Doh and attempt to respond to their requests. Today it was Papa Smurf! Sometimes it’s well beyond my ability. But, it always makes me smile. As adults, I believe that creativity is a precious commodity. Often it’s lost in our “grown-up-ness” (don’t try to find that in the dictionary). It’s a shame. Carefully consider the following quote.

“Exercising leadership is an expression of your aliveness. But your life juice – your creativity and daring, your curiosity and eagerness to question, your compassion and love for people – can seep away daily as you get beat up, put down or silenced…self-protection makes sense; the dangers are real.” (Heifetz and Linsky (2002), Leadership on the Line: Staying Alive through the Dangers of Leading. Ronald A. Heifetz & Marty Linsky. p. 225)

Each and every time I have shared this quote with a group of leaders I have watched how deeply it resonated. You don’t have to be a CEO or a pastor to understand the application. If you have ever allowed yourself to be vulnerable as a leader, you understand. But, don’t let your creativity die. Remember the words of Jesus. In order to enter the kingdom of heaven, we must become as little children (Matthew 5:3). His words remind me to open my heart rather than become engaged in the type of “self-protection” that stifles creativity and trust. Jesus understood that “faith” requires us to recapture some of the essence of childhood. 

1 comment:

Jennifer Dawn said...

Wonderful, inspiring post.

So true!