About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, July 1, 2013

Treasured Possession


“On the day when I act,” says the Lord Almighty, “they will be my treasured possession. I will spare them, just as a father has compassion and spares his son who serves him.
Malachi 3:17
 
But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.
1 Peter 2:9
 
So how did you feel this morning when you greeted the day?  Valuable? Treasured? Our feelings can betray us, especially on a Monday morning. As the day wears on, think about your value a little more deeply. Before the end of the last book in the Old Testament there is a beautiful verse. God referred to His people as a treasure. Also, notice that the verse speaks of a coming day of judgment.  The message of judgment in Malachi is tempered with an expression of God’s compassion toward His treasured people. Even though the first couple of chapters enumerate several transgressions such as infidelity, corrupt priests and contemptible sacrifices God has a redemptive promise for His people. Malachi echoes the words in Zechariah, “Return to Me and I will return to you”.

Fast forward a few centuries and read the words of the Apostle Peter. Peter describes the transformational power of God's grace. People called out of darkness are “God’s special possession”. Peter knew a thing or two about deserving judgment and receiving compassion. When Peter denied Jesus it was a dark moment. In the next verse Peter talks about the gift of God's mercy. The fact that I have received mercy from God is a substantial reminder of what it means to be a treasured possession. My life matters to my Creator. And so does yours.

No comments: