About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Harry the Penguin

Chapel began this morning with a request to make a penguin. To be honest with you, I was relieved. As far as Play Doh sculptures go, a penguin is not as tough as some. So, the result was a cute little guy with big feet and honest eyes.

He has one of those looks that says “take me home”. I invited the kids to give him a name. That’s always a treat. The consensus name was “Harry”. Harry is special indeed. I doubt there is another penguin anywhere named “Harry”. Harry had a lesson for us today. I shared with the kids that Harry is not very good at flying, but he’s a great swimmer. In addition to that, Harry can do something that I can’t do. Namely, Harry can enjoy really cold weather! In fact, He is content in icy cold water. The Apostle Paul would tell us that Contentment is the best state to call home. (Philippians 4:11). It’s a great reminder of the importance of daily gratitude.

While I confess that I love summer and I love the hot and dry weather that (normally) accompanies July, I am learning to give thanks every day. The other day I was leaving the grocery store and offered up a slightly derogatory comment about the rain. Immediately, a lady behind me in line gave a gentle correction, “Rain is a blessing”. Indeed it is a blessing. This week, my heart is heavy for the families of the firefighters who gave their lives in service near Prescott Arizona. While living near Prescott, I loved to drive up a rugged road to an overlook. It was one of those quiet places with an incredible view looking toward Yarnell. I loved to go there to pray. Now, from here, I pray for the people of Prescott and Yarnell.

No comments: