About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Friday, June 28, 2013

Incredible Wednesday



On Wednesday mornings you can find me in a unique learning laboratory. I gather with an energetic mob of preschoolers for chapel. It’s an exciting time for me. Every chapel begins with a simple question. The question has the same effect as lighter fluid on a potential fire. I ask them to tell me what they have been learning. Because we have been doing this for a while, they know to share their “letters” and “words”. I am continually amazed at their capacity to learn and remember.

Some time ago, I decided to spice it up a little bit by giving myself a challenge. Whenever they share a word, I have to make it with Play-Doh.  This week, the letter of the week was “P”, so I quickly shaped some Popcorn. At that point I proceeded to ask them what kind of movies they liked to watch when they eat popcorn. I was met with a barrage of “super heroes”. One child raised his hand and told me he wanted me to make Superman, Hulk and “For”. By the way, this exercise requires creativity, imagination and discernment. For example, a rookie might have thought “For” referred to the “Fantastic Four” rather than “Thor”.  Anyway, I narrowed the field and chose to make the Incredible Hulk.

Why do heroes capture the imagination of a child (and adults)? The recent success of super hero blockbuster movies is not surprising. It’s n
ot just the jaw-dropping special effects or the quality of the actors. It is a message that resonates within us. Children love to see someone fighting for “good”. Children love to see heroes emerge victorious over evil. Children love to connect with a redemptive mission executed through someone who mixes “ordinary” and “extraordinary” and dream about making a difference in the world.  For the past few weeks in chapel, I have shared some examples from the Bible of God’s helpers. I am motivated by a belief that each child can become a hero for God. Fortunately, they may never turn green when they are angry like Hulk, but with God’s help they can make significant contributions to His Kingdom.

This week, I told them a Bible story about a man that went out to plant seeds. The seeds had the potential to grow up and become strong plants and produce good fruit. The story applies to the children in two ways. These “heroes-in-the-making” are both sowers and growers. As they share their childlike faith with those around them they are sowing God’s love in others and at the same time they are growing in His grace. Oh how I love Wednesdays!

No comments: