About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, June 10, 2013

Be Strong


Yet now be strong, Zerubbabel,’ says the Lord; ‘and be strong, Joshua, son of Jehozadak, the high priest; and be strong, all you people of the land,’ says the Lord, ‘and work; for I am with you,’ says the Lord of hosts.
Haggai 2:4

“Be strong”. That was the word of the Lord. The word was directed toward two leaders and all the people of the land engaged in the work of rebuilding the temple in Jerusalem. If the task required only physical labor, the word would not have been necessary. God was speaking to a deeper need for fortitude and determination. God deemed it imperative to command them to summon inner strength in the face of criticism, distraction and discouragement.

Rebuilding the temple was a vital part the mission of God in Jerusalem twenty-six centuries ago. How does this message translate today? Before I am ready to hear God say, “Be strong” I have to put the words in proper context.  First, I will begin with a message found in Haggai 1:5 (“Consider your ways!”). I will pray that God will “interrupt” the normal ebb and flow of life and cause me to consider the trajectory of my life.  Have I chosen to follow my desires or have I determined to follow God? Then, I will reaffirm the priority of the mission of God. Today, it’s not about rebuilding the temple. It is about making sure that I am able to offer myself completely to Him. Then, my daily “work” can be transformed as a service to and for God. I will invite the Spirit of God to direct my steps and empower me to become no less than a witness of the true identity of My Savior. No doubt, such an invitation will lead to criticism and challenge. Now, I am ready to hear God say, “Don’t quit. Don’t give in to fear. Be strong. I am with you.”

No comments: