About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, June 17, 2013

Turning toward God


“Return to Me,” says the Lord of hosts, “and I will return to you”
Zechariah 1:3

This message is described as the “word of the Lord” that came to Zechariah. It was directed to a group of people in an effort to prevent them from making the same mistakes as their fathers. After all, Zechariah 1:2 states “the Lord has been very angry with your fathers”. Why was the Lord angry? They refused to listen to the warnings of the prophets and turn from their evil ways. So God speaks directly to their offspring.

With apologies to many teachers and professors through the years – I must confess that grammar has never been a real strength for me. However, I do understand what “imperative” means. It was imperative for God’s people to return to Him. Although the context changed in the next five hundred plus years, the imperative did not change. The words of James command the same. “Draw near to God and He will draw near to you” (James 4:8). We live in a time when the word “command” is unpopular. The idea that the “word of the Lord” is imperative causes some to recoil.  Oh how we love to question and negotiate. It’s easy to hesitate. Tragically, when we hesitate in our quandary over obedience and disobedience, we miss the second half of these great verses. Almighty God promises to draw near to us. The God of the universe loves us enough to turn toward us. In a grand understatement, I would say that God took a big first step toward us in Christ. But, beyond God’s provision of salvation, God has demonstrated His desire to be with us and affect every part of our lives. God knows that the best move every day is for us to turn to Him. Especially this is true when we have become entangled in desires that take us away from God’s plan and purpose for our lives. Draw near to God this week and express your gratitude directly to Him for His presence in your life.

No comments: