About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, June 3, 2013

Blueprint for Life


You looked for much, but indeed it came to little; and when you brought it home, I blew it away. Why?” says the Lord of hosts.
Haggai 1:9

The Bible is filled with interesting expressions. After spending several months studying the minor prophets in the Old Testament, I have renewed my appreciation for the rich language of Scripture. In this particular verse, it is the language of God as presented by the prophet Haggai. Remember that during Haggais day, God is displeased that the work of rebuilding the Temple in Jerusalem is stalled. Instead of finishing the Lords house, the people have given their attention to their own houses. That leads to Gods expression, when you brought it home, I blew it away. Its an expression that reminds those dwelling in Jerusalem of Gods power to expose the fleeting nature of material possessions.  Earlier in the first chapter of Haggai, God described the situation this way:
 He who earns wages earns wages to put into a bag with holes.

Haggais message is a timeless reminder to consider our ways in light Gods purpose and plans. What remains in life when the winds of God blow? Haggai foreshadows the teachings of Jesus. Matthew marks the conclusion of one of the greatest collections of Jesus teachings by comparing a wise builder to a foolish builder (Matthew 7:24-27). Like Haggai, Jesus describes a building project and a powerful wind. In Matthew, the wind is directed toward two houses. One house is built upon the teachings of Jesus and the second house lacks the proper foundation. Its a comparison of a wise and foolish approach to life. When the wind blew, the house built upon the rock stood and the other house fell. In life, there is no suitable substitute for a proper foundation of faithfulness to God. All other approaches result in faulty construction. 

No comments: