About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, May 27, 2013

Wake-up Call


Now therefore, thus says the Lord of hosts: Consider your ways!
Haggai 1:5

As I shared a message from Haggai yesterday, I couldnt help but reflect on one of my dads favorite sayings. Particularly during my teen years, dad was known to deliver it with a stern expression. He would say, Son, think about what you are doing. Now, I would be the first to admit that it was well deserved. Dad had a unique way of enlarging my perspective on a situation! The words of the Lord of hosts in Haggai 1:5 were not directed at a teenager. In fact, the prophet Haggai was speaking to a governor and the son of the high priest. The application of those words spread to the exiles that had returned to Jerusalem during the 6th Century B.C. It was a wake-up call. The exiles went home to rebuild the temple. After a while, the work on the temple stalled and their attention shifted away from the house of God to their own houses.

Its a historical scenario that sheds light on some dangerous tendencies. Its easy in life to lose focus. The shift from Gods plans and purposes slowly fades and our own pursuits gain traction. Our time, energy and resources take on a selfish trajectory. Taken personally, the message of Haggai 1:5 reads, Consider the direction of your life! Its a wake-up call that most of us need to hear from time to time.

No comments: