About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, May 13, 2013

Complacency


“And it shall come to pass at that time that I will search Jerusalem with lamps, and punish the men who are settled in complacency, who say in their heart, ‘The Lord will not do good, nor will He do evil.’  
Zephaniah 1:12

It’s unfortunate. Zephaniah is another one of those small books in the Old Testament that can be easily overlooked. Three short chapters begin with a portrait of impending judgment. Zephaniah cries out, “The day of the Lord is near”. When the light of the Lord shines on Jerusalem it exposes a particular group of people. Zephaniah does not lack for descriptions of iniquity. But, among the descriptions of idolatry and indifference, I am drawn to the imagery of complacency. Sometimes the phrase is translated “settled on their lees”. In other words, God compares people to the sediment of grapes during the process of making wine. I’m no expert on wine-making, but I understand the message. The initial contribution of grapes is essential, but there comes a time to move on from the dregs! In Zephaniah, God’s judgment is coming upon those who have made complacency a permanent residence. Despite the messages of the prophets, the people became indifferent in their attitude toward the presence and power of God. The message delivers a fresh warning for today. When it comes to your relationship with God, are you living in the dregs? How would you describe your passion for following the Lord? When it comes to a dynamic and passionate relationship with God, complacency can be a bit of a silent killer. Zephaniah provides both diagnosis and treatment. Consider the answer found in Zephaniah 2:3, and “Seek the Lord” this week.

No comments: