About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, August 3, 2009

Mary and Martha

It's a familiar story. Jesus came to visit Mary and Martha. Luke provides a description of both women. Mary sat at the feet of Jesus and listened to His teaching. Luke's description of Martha is not as serene. Here are a few of the words used to describe her: distracted, anxious and troubled (Luke 10:40,41). Which description fits my life? What about you? Is it easy to justify Martha's activity? I can. Somebody has to take care of the details. Is it easy to get join with Martha in her frustration with Mary? I can. How can you sit there when there is so much to be done? Here's a problem my "Martha" attitude. There's an utter failure to gain the proper perspective. What does Jesus think? Fortunately, Luke took care of that for us. He shares the Lord's commentary on the situation. According to Jesus, Mary made a good choice. I'm not sure what bothers me more about my life. Is it my tendency to be busy, distracted and anxious? That bothers me. But, I think what bothers me more is my failure to stop and learn what my Lord thinks about the way I live from day to day.

No comments: