About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, August 17, 2009

Faith formation

I was reading an article this week entitled "Sharing the Gospel in a Postmodern World" (Sean O'Neal, Evangel, Sept 2009). In the article, O'Neal refers to the importance of community in forming and developing faith. His comments draw from his experience with people who have no background in Christianity. Sometimes we forget that "growing faith" does not occur in a vacuum inside of our heads. Our faith is stretched and matured through real life - in community. Instead of bemoaning the lack of faith in the Christian community, it would be more productive if we invested in faith formation in the people God has put in our paths. It is challenging to invest in people who do not share our background or views about God, but it is rewarding. In the process, our own faith matures.

No comments: