About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Friday, August 28, 2009

Instant Replay and Humility

I'm a supporter of the introduction of instant replay in the sports world. Even though it slows the game down a bit, I believe it helps officials make the right call. There is a limit to our human abilities on the field of play and now that the armchair quarterbacks at home have the ability to review plays on their own...pause, slow mo, instant replay, etc. it probably lessens stress a little. As you might expect, I have a theological footnote on instant replay. It is a good introduction to the virtue of humility. Instant replay introduces the possibility to the official: I might have gotten it right or I might have gotten it wrong. I ran across a great qote from a great preacher from the 17th century. Richard Baxter wrote
"Formerly I knew much less than now, and yet was not half so much acquainted with my ignorance". I wish had run across that quote a long time ago. Humility allows us to quote Baxter frequently (minus the old English beauty). We should say it this way. "I thought I was right - I was wrong". By the way, we don't need cameras perched at every angle of our lives to know whether we were right or wrong. We have the Holy Spirit.

No comments: