About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Why did you do that?

I have been studying in the book of Judges in preparation for a series of messages. Judges is not a real pleasant book. Apart from some really fascinating stories of extraordinary victories and colorful characters like Gideon and Samson, it's a pretty sad commentary on our tendency to fall into the same patterns of debilitating sin. The beginning of the book has a real deep and complicated question. (Yes, I'm being sarcastic) According to the second chapter, the Angel of the Lord appeared before the people and asked them "Why have you done this?". Can you guess how they responded. They cried so much they named the place "weeping". By the way, there isn't really an answer recorded to the question. I have a bit of an explanation of why there isn't a verbal answer. Because the truth hurts too much and sounds too stupid coming out of our mouths..."Why did I disobey...I thought it would be fun to walk away from blessings, rewards, victory and peace and abandon the living God Almighty and make another god out of a piece of dirt or a rock or something" or how about this one..."God, I thought since you had given us life and victory over the false gods of this land I would see how it felt to serve the loser gods for a while". See what I mean? While the specifics or our disobedience is different, the root issues are the same. I'm looking forward to being "schooled" from Judges.

No comments: