About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Thursday, September 24, 2009

You knew didn't You


I'm wrapping up the class I am teaching at the Seminary tonight. Before leaving I walked in the chapel and stood silently and took a few moments to reflect. It's hard to believe that on an evening just like tonight 20 years ago, I was sitting in chapel. It was a course called "Pentecostal Foundations" that met from 7-10 pm (I was younger then!) It was in this introductory course that we learned about the significance of sharing our story, our testimony about our journey. In addition to those key components of our Seminary experience we also did some testing. It was my first time to take the Meyers Briggs Type Indicator Assessment (MBTI). I remember when our results were in and the administrator shared some things about each type. There were about 80 of us in the class. When he called out my "type", I was the only one of this type in the class. I will never forgeet his comment: "this type would not likely find themselves in seminary". But, there I was. There I sat with Lynn by my side - and here I am. As I stood quietly in the chapel tonight, I took a deep breath and considered the journey from 1989 to 2009 and I shared with God, you knew didn't you. You knew every where we would go, everything we would encounter, every person you would send us to reach. Twenty years ago as we sat with a list of questions how someone like me could ever be who you called me to be. You knew. Maybe you smiled when he said I was an unlikely candidate. You knew I would be back here tonight.

2 comments:

Tom Rosson said...

ESFP ???

Later I remember ENFP/J

Greetings from INTJ

Paul Metler, Ph.D. said...

You are the man Tom. Thank God for the INTJ's in the world that keep track of their own identity and keep every else in line!