About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Where's your faith?

It's hard to overestimate the importance of faith. The Bible has a lot to say about faith. It seems like God has the ability to measure our faith. Sometimes we think in terms of that measure as to whether it is great or small, weak or strong. At times, Jesus rebuked His disciples because their faith didn't measure up. Naturally, I consider the health of my own faith. Faith is dynamic. It changes. It should grow. But, it should also mature. Rather than focis on teh "size" or "strength" of my faith I have been considering the object of my faith. Toward the end of his time with His disciples, Jesus told them to "Have faith in God" (Mark 11). (This was after they noticed an unfruitful fig tree that had withered - the context is worth considering). Lots of attention has been given to the verses that follow this admontion to have faith in God. Jesus spoke of speaking to mountains and having them move. But to skip over to the mountain moving aspect of faith too quickly is a mistake. The older I get, the more I realize the greatest challenge to my faith is not the mountains, it is the two words that come before the mountains..."in God". Will I put my faith "in God" or will I trust in other things? When I see a positive result from my faith, will I remain anchored in God or be tempted to trust in other things? Where's your faith? Great faith, strong faith can only be meaningful if it is faith "in God".

No comments: