About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Uncertainty

Uncertainty is an interesting word. It's being thrown around a lot lately. Whether you are listening to economists or a report from Wall Street, messages are couched with uncertainty. I'm not surprised by the fact that uneasiness trickles down from the macro to the micro level. I detect quite a bit of uncertainty in and around the lives of people that I care about. We are experiencing change in our world at an unprecedented rate. There is no way to anticipate change that happens so rapidly. But, forecasting and anticipating is not the same as preparing. I believe we can prepare for change, as well as uncertainty. Consider the fact that God is not surprised by anything that occurs in our lives. The Bible reassures us that God has known us since before we were born. Eugene Peterson comments on that fact:

Thius realization has a practical result; no longer do we run here and there, panicked and anxious, searching for the answers to life. Our lives are not puzzles to be figured out. Rather we come to God who knows us and reveals to us the truth of our lives. The fundamental mistake is to begin with ourselved and not God. God is the center from which all life develops.

This knowledge transfers our attention from the uncertain to the certain. We respond to life only after looking to the Source of life.

No comments: