About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

VBS Unleash the child within

What is it about VBS that brings out this explosion of creativity and energy? As expected, this has been an exciting week. I love the VBS experience. I love watching kids come together in worship, activities and a creative learning environment. This year, Pastor Dan and Penny have raised the bar a bit by taking our VBS to the community amphitheater. It's been awesome. As much fun as it is to watch the kids, I get a big kick out of watching the adults. As strange as it may sound, we are at our best at VBS. It's not just the energy and enthusiasm that explodes each night. It is an expression of unselfishness. As I watch adults at registration, team leadership, music, skits, snacks, set-up/clean-up and a host of other responsibilities it is inspiring. Each one is giving for the purpose of helping kids experience God's love and joy. That's what makes it special. And that is why I say that the church is at it's best. Too often the church gets caught up in "childishness" instead of the "child-likeness" that Christ talks about. The church, at it's best, unleashes child-like faith and service for the sake of others.

No comments: