About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Chistian America

There's has been quite a bit in the news about whether America is a "Christian nation" or not. A recent Newsweek article entitled "The End of Christian America" reports the results of the 2009 American Religious Identification Survey. Among the results is a reported increase in the number of Americans who claim no religious affiliation (15%). This percentage has nearly doubled since 1990 (8%). My reflections on this article are influenced by the fact that we remember "Holy Week" this week. The Newsweek article has much to say about the interrelationship between Religion, the Government and Christianity. I can't help but reflect on the fact that these same relationships were critical in the events that led to the death of my Savior on the cross. Religious leaders were in the forefront of the charge to crucify Jesus. Read through the Gospel accounts of Jesus death and it's hard to deny the political concerns that influenced Pontius Pilate's treatment of Jesus. Then there were the Christians. Although they were not called "Christians" yet, they were followers of Christ. With a few exceptions, the Christians do not receive a very positive treatment during "Holy Week" in the Gospels. The followers of Christ are among those who deny, betray, abandon and fall asleep at inopportune moments of crisis. What will the future hold for America? Are we entering a "post-Christian" slide? As a follower of Christ, I want to learn from those who were there with Jesus. I want to learn from their mistakes. And I want to learn from Jesus. In the midst of swirling political and religious issues many of His followers were uncertain. Yet, Jesus remained true to His mission. That is my desire.

No comments: