About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Almost Miss USA

Not that I am a fan of Miss USA pageants, but it was hard to miss the talk about it this week. Miss California, Carrie Prejean, has been the focus of a lot of commentary after her politically incorrect answer to pageant-judge Perez Hilton's question about same-sex marriage. Here's the short version of a big story: He ask her what she thought about it and she told him and he didn't like it. What concerns me most about the issue is a comment that reflects a growing sentiment in our culture in America. Hilton responded to questions this morning on the Today show by saying that Prejean as a Miss USA contestant should answer questions in a way that "will make everyone feel welcome". Notice he didn't say that she should be honest. I'm not concerned at all about who wins Miss USA this year or next year. As I said, I'm not a big fan of pageants. As a follower of Jesus, I believe this issue gives us an opportunity to consider how to answer tough questions. Truth is not always welcome or welcoming. But, that does not relieve us of our convictions. In addition, we have a responsibility to saturate our answers with truth, love and grace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Judges 21:25 says in the second part of the verse ".....and everyone did what was right in their own eyes."
There is no true freedom without bondaries. Bondaries were set by the Lord for our benefit and most importantly because of His holiness. You are right Paul. Truth is truth. Lack of courage to speak the truth robs the modern church of much of its effectiveness for God.