About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Friday, January 23, 2009

We, They, I

How easy it is to make strong distinctions between the three. We are the church. It sounds bold and powerful. Like a bunch of football players gathered in a circle before a big game. Nick's football team was the "Warriors" last year. So they would gather in a huddle. The team captain would shout "Who are we?" to which the others would shout passionately "Warriors". On my most optimistic days, that is the picture I get when I say "we are the church". "We" is about unity despite diversity. They are the church. It has a bit of an accusing tone. They, not we, are the church. That is a good description of our best "critical" look at the church today. It provides a great vantage point to identify what's wrong with the church. It's a very popular subject today. The bookstores are filled with "they" books right now and I have read my share of critiques. Though much of the criticism I read today is accurate, I quickly wade through the "they" language to find a "we" heart. Finally, we get to the rub. I am the church. If "we" is about unity and "they" is about criticism, "I" is about responsibility. When I read Acts 4, I discover that Peter was an "I" who reached out and touched a beggar at the Eastern gate of the Temple. Peter was the church. The fruitfulness of Peter's love is magnified before we reach the end of the chapter.

No comments: