About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Reformission reflections

We are three weeks into 2009 so it's time to reflect. I have started the new year recognizing the need to "reform" some ways of thinking, particularly as it relates to Mission. The need for reform brought me to Acts 1:8. The definition of mission is clear in the words of Jesus. We are to "be witnesses" for Him. Mission is a life, not a project. Witness takes place every day, not just when we share the Gospel verbally. Now my attention has moved forward a few chapters. Acts 4 takes us on an interesting journey. It begins with the ordinary and ends with the extraordinary. Peter and John walk to the temple for a time of prayer, encounter a man in need and respond "in the name of Jesus". The man's healing sets in motion strong reaction from the religious establishment and it brings the disciples back around to prayer. If you like action and drama Acts 4 is a great chapter. How does this story speak to our need for reform? It hinges on a simple response of love to the need of a man who would be easy to pass by on the way to church.

No comments: