About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day

Today Barack Obama will become the 44th President of the United States of America. It is a historic day that comes the day after a national holiday honoring Martin Luther King, Jr. Obama's inauguration is a reminder of the changes that have been made since Dr. King. These changes have occured in my lifetime. The election of a Obama also reaches back to the Emancipation Proclamation. Obama will take his oath of office utilizing the same bible that was used in the inauguration of Abraham Lincoln. Today my reflection reaches back much farther. When I think about inaugural events I think back to the coronation of Israel's first king as recorded in 1 Samuel 12. The words of the old prophet are a great reminder of our journey forward. America faces great challenges today. None is as great as our need to turn to God. Two admonitions stand out to me from the coronation of King Saul. First, the call to prayer: Samuel told the people "far be it from me that I should sin against the Lord in ceasing to pray for you; but I will teach you the good and right way". Second, Samuel reminded the people of the key principles of any journey forward: "fear the Lord, and serve Him in truth with all your heart; for consider what great things he has done for you. But if you still do wickedly, you shall be swept away, both you and your king."

No comments: