About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Defining Health

One of the interesting aspects of being a diabetic is the need for daily monitoring. Because I have been a diabetic for nearly 40 years I have seen some major changes in the methods of measuring blood sugar. Now, even the most basic methods of electronic measurement allow for downloadable data to analyze and study trends. What trends should we study in order to check the pulse of church health? I am convinced that we overlook many of the best indicators. Sunday morning attendance is important, but it doesn't necessarily guarantee Monday morning worship. How about day to day witness? It's hard to devise a tangible measure of whether or not we are salt and light - but, we need to be asking the question. A healthy church is a church that shares the light and love of the gospel in diverse and creative ways. I should be just as diligent to monitor whether I am living a Christ-like life as I am to check my blood sugar.

No comments: