About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Jesus and Jonah

God sent Jonah to the great city of Nineveh to preach because the people were wicked (Jonah 1:1). God sent Jesus to the world because the world is full of sin (John 1:29). Jonah ran the other way then had a change of direction (not a change of heart) and preached to the city. Throughout the mission of Jonah it is clear that he hated the people of Nineveh. It is equally clear throughout the mission of Jesus that He loved the people of the world. For the past few weeks I have wrestled with the inescapable question - Am I more like Jonah or Jesus? The question is not as uncomfortable if I answer quickly. Jonah is painted with such an ugly brush, I can quickly draw a contrast between "him" and "me". But, questions like this one are not supposed to be answered quickly. As I said, I've been wrestling with this one for weeks. The more I consider the message of Jonah, the more the ugly painting becomes a self portrait! Our culture is like fertile soil that grows selfishness in our hearts. Loving the wicked, cruel, unlovable people of the world was the heart and soul of our Savior. Only when His heart beats in mine do my Jonah qualities begin to fade.

1 comment:

Brandi said...

I would never have expected to see that here ... that you worry about which of these personalities shines greater in you. I admire your honesty in admitting that you have a little Jonah in you, Pastor, but with the teachings you've handed out lately I think you've made us all wonder that same thing. Which are we more of? Jonah, or Jesus?

I'm sure it's a valid concern, because we have to be diligent in who we are, we have to constantly monitor our hearts to keep them pure, and we constantly are in need of molding, of "fixing" in the hands of God who created us.

But surely you can see what your congregation sees? Heritage is a church that shines bright with the spirit of the Lord, it's a place where everyone feels at home, and that's in large part because of you and Lynn and the way you really seem to care for the people around you.

It shows in you where your heart is, and it shows in the church what kind of leadership we have. So, thanks, Pastor, for being not just a teacher, and not just a leader, but one humble enough to let the Creator shine through.