About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Emotional Health

While studying Jonah I noticed how many times his emotional state is mentioned. In fact, more than once, God asks Jonah whether or not it is "right" for him to be angry. I have never really considered the prominent role of Jonah's emotions in the story before. Our emotions are a wonderful part of who we are. God created us with a tremendous and complex capacity for range of emotions. I couldn't begin to list all of the emotions that I have experienced today. But, the text of Jonah reminds us that it is worth considering whether our emotions help or hinder. It requires us to look below the surface. When God asked Jonah whether it was "right" for him to be angry He was unveiling the deeper reasons for Jonah's anger. Jonah's anger was rooted in selfishness and resentment toward God's actions/inaction. Jonah's anger did not lead him in a positive direction. The Hebrew word for "anger" carries a meaning of "heat". It is a fitting word to remind us that Jonah's thinking and his anger were like gas and fire. His anger was fueled by his selfish thinking. Jonah's experiences give me some good food for thought as it relates to my own emotional health.

No comments: