About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Thursday, June 5, 2008

Me Generation

Intersting terminology. There have been many references to the "me" generation. Some define it as anyone born after 1970. My definition is a little more generous. I define it as anyone born after Adam. This week I have been studying one of the poster children from the me generation: Jonah. The story of Jonah is a masterpiece of selfishness. It doesn't require much study to understtand that message. But, what is more subtle to us is the way we read Jonah. We tend to focus on Jonah and identify our own journey with Jonah's journey. We gain keen insight on the ways in which we have rejected God's call. That is good. But, isn't it interesting that we are less likely to identify with the people of Nineveh? After all, I am a Gentile not a Jewish prophet. I needed someone to preach a message of repentance to me, just like the people of Nineveh. I needed to turn from away from my sin and toward a holy God, just like them.

No comments: