About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Why?

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear, even though the earth be removed,
And though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;
Though its waters roar and be troubled. Though the mountains shake with its swelling.
Psalm 46:1-3

I was thankful for this Psalm this morning as I thought about the disasters that have struck the earth in the past few days. The death toll from the Myanmar cyclone continues to climb and over 50,000 earthquake victims are either dead or missing in China. "Why?" is a natural question to so-called "natural" disasters. Yet, it may be a question that will not likely be answered to our satisfaction. The words of the Psalm answer the more pertinent question "Where". Where can we turn in the midst of tragedy? Where is a place of safety? Psalm 46 resolves with a firm instruction to "be still" and know that God is with us and God is a refuge that stretches beyond the limits of our life on earth.

I received a forwarded email from a contact in Myanmar. His email closed with a request for prayer and the words "God help us". Simple words with profound significance. Along with aid that is sent for the immediate physical needs. Pray for God's help for the people of Myanmar and China.

No comments: