About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Say your prayers

God is great, God is good, let us thank Him for our food.
Just like many other children I learned to pray these words before meals. This past Sunday I shared some reflections on the depth of this simple prayer. Sometimes we lose the powerful words in their simplicity. God is great. Actually, my reflection of this childhood prayer was prompted Sunday morning as we were singing How great is our God. God's greatness is incomprehensible. During the time of worship I was thinking about God's unlimited power and how God is sufficient for my every need and situation. God is great. But, God is also good. God's purpose for me is a good purpose. In every challenge of life, God is able to bring about good in my heart. God's acts are good. His plans are good. Everything good in my life has its origin in the good God. So...let us thank Him. Isn't it interesting that we were taught as children to give thanks before the meal. Not after, but before. Our thanksgiving was offered up while we were still hungry. Our thanks to God was given while we were empty and in need. This powerful lesson is often lost as we enter adulthood. We fail to apply this principle in our spiritual lives. We want to give thanks to God when we are full, not when we are hungry. We want to wait to give thanks to God "after the meal" rather than before. Our thanks to God rests primarily on the fact that God is great and that God is good. So, revisit your childhood. Pause today and pray.

1 comment:

Brandi said...

No less moving a lesson today than it was on Sunday ...