About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Can we skip this chapter?

Well, my study of Abraham has brought me to Genesis 22. I am convinced that many people who have begun reading the Bible have stopped at Genesis 22 and decided to read Psalms or stick with the New Testament. It's a tough chapter to read. Check out the second verse where God says to Abraham "take now your son, your only son Isaac and offer him there as a burnt offering". If you haven't managed to finish the chapter you need to know that Abraham doesn't sacrifice Isaac - God intervenes. However, the happy ending doesn't erase the terror of the beginning. I can't offer a nice neat explanation, because there is none that I have been able to find. However I can share some perspective about faith. Faith is not neat. It is not easily explained. Most of the time my faith in God makes sense to me - but, that doesn't mean it makes sense to others. To be honest,initiation into a life of faith in God can be terrifying. Eugene Peterson comments on the faith of Abraham as "trusting obediently in what we cannot control, living in obedient relationship to the One we cannot see, venturing obediently into a land that we know nothing about." Now then, is that nice and neat? I look forward to sharing some more about Abraham on Sunday.

1 comment:

Brandi said...

That really was a hard chapter for me to read, especially with my little one having heart surgery soon. It's scary, but in the end I'm reminding myself to trust in Him and to know that His timing and His choice is ultimately the best for me ... and to hope that His choice and mine are the same this time, LOL. I've been on a personal journey through the Bible lately, and I had just been through that particular story when I found out the surgery was definitely going to happen. It was really a strong lesson for me in trust, in having faith in the Lord's provision, and in His faithfulness to those who belong to Him.