About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Preparation

If you're nervous it means you're unprepared.
Eli Manning

The Super Bowl winning QB said a mouth full didn't he? Few of us will ever have the opportunity to play on a stage as large as the Super Bowl, but his words caught my eye. Just like Eli, I prepare for Sunday every week. He throws passes. I throw words. Sometimes people ask me about how I prepare, so here's a look at some other differences and similarities between Eli and me.

1. Unlike Eli, I love practice as much if not more so than the game - no , I don't stand in front of a mirror and go through my message. I am referring to my time studying the Bible and listening to God. That is something I cherish.

2. I have to know defensive schemes. Eli can call an audible at the line and adjust. A part of my prep is to recognize that people have many defensive mechanisms that oppose the transformation that comes from hearing, receiving and applying the Message of God's Word. Eli has an offensive line. I depend on prayer and the Holy Spirit to prepare the way.

3. Eli studies film. So do I. I watch and learn from gifted speakers. And I watch video of myself to learn from my mistakes and laugh at my frequent bloopers.

4. Eli is quick to give thanks to his teammates. My sermons do not stand alone. I am blessed with a great ministry team. We share a passionate desire to communicate God's love on Sunday.

No comments: