About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, February 6, 2012

Kindness


“Don’t be afraid,” David said to him, “for I will surely show you kindness for the sake of your father Jonathan." (2 Samuel 9:7 TNIV)

These are the words that David spoke to Mephibosheth, Jonathan's son. David was the king. Mephibosheth was the grandson of the previous king. During this time, it was common for the family of a previous ruler to be treated treacherously by the next ruler. That explains why David spoke the words, "Don't be afraid". Mephibosheth did not expect kindness from King David. In fact, he had reason to fear. These three words appear quite frequently in the Bible. Most of the time, “don’t be afraid” was spoken by God or a messenger for God. This opens our eyes to a significant description of David. He was described as “a man after God's own heart”. On this particular occasion, David’s actions reflected the heart of God. This week we will have multiple opportunities to extend the kindness of God toward people who may or may not expect to receive kindness. In fact, their lives may be filled with fear. Kindness can begin to dispel their fears and open the door for the love of Christ to enter in.

No comments: